Friday, October 17, 2008

Movie Review: Sleeping Beauty

So this week a huge DVD release occured: Sleeping Beauty: 50th aniversary on HD-DVD and Blue-Ray. I don't own a Blue-Ray player but I did buy the DVD version and was really impressed...kind of.

Let me start by saying that this is the first ever traditionally animated feature to be realesed on Blue-Ray, and I know it was the film's 50th aniversary, but I think they should of released a more timeless film as the first release. I'm not bagging on Sleeping Beauty, but it kind of lost its luster over time, and this Halloween, you'll probably see more Cinderellas then Auroras (and even more Hannah Montanas) and ask a class of first graders what was the name of the princess in Sleeping Beauty? Most of them wouldn't know Aurora's name, or how to prononce it.

So onward, I must say I hadn't seen Sleeping Beauty in some time and really didn't know how they made a feature film about a sleeping princess. I did like the movie but I think the Fairys (Flora, Fauna, and Merriweather) got way too much screen time and the prince didn't get enough screentime (and he looked too much like Johnny Quest)

But I digress, I liked this movie, it isn't (and it will never be) my favorite Disney film. Even if Aurora is my favorite princess. So I give this release a B+ and I reccomend everyone go and buy this release before IT IS SEALED INTO THE DISNEY VAULT FOR 7 YEARS!

disneyzits@gmail.com

No comments: